Monday, October 12, 2009

Now I know where to find them!

Upon reading and grading my composition 101 class’s narrative with heavy description essays a couple of weeks ago, I realized that my students did not really get what I was trying to tell them about description. Instead of deep, extended, almost meditative descriptions, I ended up with a couple extra adjectives in a couple extra sentences.

I was thinking that to show them the power of description I should have found a powerful picture, of an old lady perhaps, with wrinkled skin and grey hair and bent up old fingers and displayed the picture. Next to the picture would be the simple phrase: “The lady is old.” I would then ask the students if those words aptly represented the photo.

The answer would be, in one way, “yes,” of course the lady is old. In another way, the answer would be that those four words were not capable of describing such a provocative and intense picture. A writing session would then ensue with the students taking note of the leathery skin, brittle hair, fragile stature, and other important details.

Then I thought to myself that this is a nice idea, but it’s never easy to find really good pictures. That is until I was reading ESL Technology the the other day, and in the post entitled "Writing 1000 Words," the author recommended some good sites to find powerful pictures that might prompt students to write. He recommended Photoshop Contest.com and Worth 1000.com.

And what do you know, while searching through Worth 1000.com. I found this very vivid and detailed photo entitled “We Still Have Each Other” (although, unfortunately, I could not figure out how to get it onto the blog). Now, next time I want to find an interesting photo, I know where to go.

1 comment:

  1. Jason,
    What a fascinating picture that you linked to and your ideas about using such images with your students sound very motivating!
    There is a way to put this image in your blog, but I'm not sure about the copyright issues on images from this site. You need to check that out, but the steps for using this picture in your own blog would be like most other images you find on the internet. Here are the steps that work for my pc:
    1. Right click on the image.
    2. Choose "Save picture as"
    3. Create a name for image. I often try to use a description and "by ..." so I know how to give credit to the creator when possible.
    The image is now on your hard drive and you can upload it to you blog just like any other images you have.
    Good luck,
    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete